Audition at Grand Rapids Civic Theatre
Below is information about upcoming auditions. If you are planning to audition, you will be asked to read from a script. For any musical auditions, please come with a prepared song and be ready to take part in a dance audition. Some auditions require advance registration.
As audition sign-ups become available, registration links will be added below. Please check back frequently. We look forward to seeing you at auditions!
ACTOR PROCESS FOR TEN FOR ALL:
Civic Theatre is looking for volunteer actors of all ages and identities to play roles in our upcoming ten minute play competition, Ten for All. Actors who are chosen for the event will participate in a week of zoom rehearsals and a public zoom reading, and MAY be asked to continue on for in-person rehearsals and two weeks of public performances, if they play they are cast in is chosen as a finalist in the competition.
The proposed/tentative rehearsal schedule is available by clicking here.
To be considered actors should submit the following NO LATER than Wednesday, March 3, 2021 at 10pm.
- Fill out the Google Form with basic information and availability. Click here to access the Google Form.
- Submit a 30 second video of yourself “performing” any ONE of the selections found HERE. Videos should be submitted via WeTransfer to email@example.com. (You do not need to make an account to use WeTransfer.) Go to WeTransfer.com, enter firstname.lastname@example.org as the “to”, your email address as the “your email” and please put YOUR NAME and TEN FOR ALL in the message line. Then drop your file anywhere on the page and it will upload.
Directors will contact prospective actors via email on or around March 11th to confirm casting & availability.
Tips for your Audition:
- Please be 100% honest about your conflicts on the Google Form! We will use that information to make sure we create the most efficient & effective rehearsal schedule possible. We can work around some conflicts, but not if we don’t know them upfront! Thank you!
- You do NOT need to memorize the selection, but DO try to look at & connect with the camera you are using from time to time!
- While we will NOT be judging the quality of the video, itself, we recommend you have a neutral background, and focus on the actor from the waist or chest up (so we can see your face!). Any camera should do – phone cameras generally work perfectly for this sort of filming.
- Bring some CHARACTER into your reading! Use facial expressions! Make sure you pick a reading that you can connect with and will enjoy performing.
Auditioning for a Show…
Grand Rapids Civic Theatre is a community theatre, which means that all the actors who perform on our stage are a collection of individuals from this area who have a talent and interest in theatre arts. Whether you’re a novice or a seasoned actor, you are welcome to audition for our productions. With each season offering musicals, plays, comedies, dramas, and youth productions, there is a show for everyone.
Check out our Facebook page and visit this page for updated information regarding audition dates and times, casting needs, and rehearsal schedules. All sign-ups are done through SignUp Genius, which will be posted as they become available.
What to expect at an audition
Those planning to audition for a Play will be asked to read from the script. For Musical auditions, prepare 16 measures of a memorized song and bring sheet music that includes a piano accompaniment line. Recorded accompaniments and a capella auditions will not be accepted. Musical auditions will also include a dance audition.
What to expect at a callback
Those that are asked to return for Play Callbacks will read from the script. Musical Callbacks consist of reading from the script, singing songs from the show, and learning additional dance choreography.
Civic Theatre’s School of Theatre Arts offers workshops and classes designed to help you prepare specifically for an audition. Please check our current Theatre Workshop & Class Schedule f