Frequently Asked Questions
When does registration begin?
- Fall, winter, and spring term class registration opens August 13, 2018
- Summer Camp registration opens March 11, 2019
What are the term dates?
The term weeks run Saturday through Friday and are:
- Fall Term: October 6 – November 21 (No Class on Halloween)
- Winter Term: January 12 – February 22
- Spring Term: April 13 – May 24
- Performance Block: March 2 – March 24
How long are the terms?
The fall, winter and spring term classes are all 6 weeks long.
How do I register for a class or camp?
Registration can be done online at www.grct.org/classes or by contacting the education offices at 616-222-6653. Payment is due at the time of registration.
How do I register for the Performance Block?
Registration can be done by contacting the education offices at 616-222-6653. Payment is due at the time of registration.
How do I know if I have the correct pre-requisites for the Performance Block?
Please view this list of pre-requisites. If you have specific questions, please contact education offices at 616-222-6653.
Are the CORE classes level based? Do you have to take level 1 before level 2, etc?
Our Acting and Musical Theatre CORE classes are not level based. They are grade based; designed and curriculum written specifically for a grade level. Your student would take the class that corresponds with their current grade in school.
What is your refund and cancellation policy?
In the event that the Theatre must cancel a course, a full refund is issued.
If a student requests a withdrawal, on or before the first day of class, a full refund less a $10 cancellation fee is issued. Withdrawals before the second day of class are refunded at 75% of the enrollment cost. Refund is forfeited if withdrawal occurs on the second day of class or later.
EXCEPTION TO POLICY: NO REFUNDS WILL BE ISSUED FOR THE PERFORMANCE BLACK AFTER THE FEBRUARY 23, 2019 REGISTRATION DEADLINE.
When is payment due for a class or camp?
Payment is due at the time of registration.
Do you provide scholarships for your classes and camps?
The Grand Rapids Civic Theatre School of Theatre arts, through the support of generous community members and foundations, is pleased to offer need-based scholarships for classes and camp. Qualified applicants may receive up to an 80% tuition scholarship for fall, winter or spring term classes, 50% tuition scholarship for Performance Block classes and 50% tuition scholarship for summer camps.
Scholarships are limited to one class per student, per term.
How do I apply for a scholarship?
There are 3 things that have to be done and submitted to apply for a scholarship:
- Complete a scholarship application (pdf)
- Obtain a letter of recommendation from a third party. A new letter is required each year.
- A $20 deposit, per class
All of this information must be received in the Education Office no later than two weeks before the start of classes.
Can scholarships be applied for online?
No. All scholarships must be submitted to the Education Office and cannot be applied for online.
Do you offer discounts for classes or camps?
We offer two different discounts:
- Season Subscriber Discount – Current season ticket subscribers receive $10 off each class, workshop or summer camp.
- Take 3 Discount – Register for any 3 classes in the same transaction and receive $10 off each class.
What are your discount policies?
- Discounts must be taken at the time of registration and cannot be added retroactively.
- Discounts cannot be combined.
Can my student make up a class or camp?
Due to the nature of our programs, we are unable to offer make ups for missed sessions. Please be sure to tell us in advance if your student will be missing any program days due to travel, illness, or other circumstances. Please contact 616-222-6653, ext 1 to report an absence.
What is an Informance?
Each class will have an in-class, informal performance the last day of the class for family and friends. This is an opportunity for the students to showcase what they worked on during the term.
Where do classes take place?
Classes take place at the Grand Rapids Civic Theatre, 30 N. Division Ave. Students arrive and leave through the main lobby doors on Library Street.
Are snacks and beverages allowed during class time?
Grand Rapids Civic Theatre is a NUT FREE ZONE! Students are allowed to have a non-nut snack in the lobby before heading up to class. Water is the only thing allowed in the classrooms.
What should my student bring to class?
- Students should wear shoes that cover their entire foot (no sandals, flip flops, crocks are allowed). Tennis shoes or sneakers are preferred. No boots of any kind are allowed on the Dance Studio Floor.
- Students should bring a water bottle to class
- Students should bring their script (if using) and a pencil to each class
Is there a place for parents to wait while their student is in class?
Parents may wait in the main lobby while their student is in class. There is wifi and bathrooms available. An education staff member will always be present.
We are committed to artistic excellence through a comprehensive arts education program which builds confidence, fosters collaboration and inspires creativity.