Welcome to SRTI Online 2020!
The 2020 Summer Repertory Theatre Intensive (SRTI) program is moving forward, with adjustments to the program, allowing for the potential of continued social distancing measures throughout the summer. SRTI is a training program for students in grades 7-12 who are seriously considering a career or college major in theatre performance or production, and will run ENTIRELY ONLINE from July 6-August 1, 2020. (Please see the Conflict Calendar for specific program times/dates.)
We are VERY excited to announce our plans for an ONLINE PRODUCTION of A Midsummer Night’s Dream! This production format will be rehearsed and performed entirely from students’ homes utilizing several online performance platforms, and will allow students to creatively contribute to a brand new way of bringing theatre to our Civic audiences! Production students, in particular, will work closely with production designers to explore innovative new ways of bringing this Shakespearean classic to life!
PERFORMANCE TRACK PROGRAM will feature three virtual Masterclasses with professional artists from around the country, including Dan Micciche (Music Director for the current Broadway production of Wicked), weekly individual acting or voice coaching, and a role in our innovative ONLINE PRODUCTION of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, which will premiere in early August! This production will be co-directed by Katherine Mayberry, Executive Director of Pigeon Creek Shakespeare Company, and Allyson Paris, Associate Director at GRCT.
PRODUCTION TRACK PROGRAM will feature two virtual Masterclasses with professional artists around the country, including Eric Van Tassel (Hope College Design Faculty), bi-weekly individual portfolio instruction & review, and design opportunities for our innovative ONLINE PRODUCTION of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, which will premiere in early August! Students will work with production designer Tony Churchill, (projection designer for Porchlight Theatre, Marriott Theatre, and Chicago Shakespeare Theatre – as well as GRCT’s production of Matilda, the Musical), to design and create ALL of the virtual AND physical production elements.
ACCEPTANCE into both tracks of the program will be by APPLICATION ONLY. Requirements are below. All application materials are DUE by NOON on FRIDAY, JUNE 5th.
PERFORMANCE TRACK STUDENTS:
1) Application Form (via Google Forms): https://forms.gle/ejGcxbinP3iAJ5S27
2) Audition Video* with the following elements:
- 30-60 second PERSONAL ARTISTIC STATEMENT stating YOUR NAME, why you are applying, what your goals are, and why theatre is important to you! Don’t over think it, and don’t “script” it – we want to see YOU!
- 60-90 second SHAKESPEAREAN MONOLOGUE** (please state the play & character before you start)
- OPTIONAL: you can also include a 60-90 second SONG of any genre with or without accompaniment. There will be added music and possibly singing. If you might be interested in singing as part of the production, please include a song in your audition. It is NOT required, and will absolutely NOT negatively impact your audition in any way.
*Please use WeTransfer.com to submit Audition Videos to firstname.lastname@example.org AND email@example.com. After you have recorded your video, go to WeTransfer.com and follow the instructions for transferring a video. You do NOT need to create an account. We recommend using a phone or tablet to record your video, and then use the internet browser on that same device for WeTransfer.com.
**We highly recommend watching this Shakespeare-to-tape tutorial created by Katherine Mayberry to help you choose and prepare your monologue. Please do NOT choose a monologue from MIDSUMMER.
PRODUCTION TRACK STUDENTS:
1) Application Form (via Google Forms): https://forms.gle/BFRY8zu7WBhepSPZ7
2) Video* with a 30-60 second PERSONAL ARTISTIC STATEMENT stating YOUR NAME, why you are applying, what your goals are, and why theatre is important to you! Don’t over think it, and don’t “script” it – we want to see YOU!
3) OPTIONAL: If you have artwork/drawings, designs, production photos, you may submit them to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “SRTI Application”. This is NOT required, but would help us get to know you and what interests & skills you might be bringing to the program.
*Please use WeTransfer.com to submit Audition Videos to email@example.com. After you have recorded your video, go to WeTransfer.com and follow the instructions for transferring a video. You do NOT need to create an account. We recommend using a phone or tablet to record your video, and then use the internet browser on that same device for WeTransfer.com.
- Performance Track Applicants MAY be invited to an online callback on either June 11 or 12 from 7-9pm. Students who are called back will receive a few scenes to look at 48 hours prior to their assigned callback time. We recommend ALL students leave those dates/times open for a potential callback!
- Performance AND Production Track Applicants will be notified of their acceptance into the program via email by 8pm on Wednesday, June 17th
- Tuition for the program is $300 for Performance Track students and $250 for Production Track students. The full tuition amount is due by June 30th. A limited number of need based scholarships are available and scholarship applications can be requested upon acceptance into the program. Scholarship Applications are due by June 22nd.
- Students will need access to a computer or tablet and a reliable high speed internet connection to participate in the program.
- Please be sure to consult the Conflict Calendar for Masterclass and Rehearsal/Production Times. Students must be available for ALL Masterclasses & Rehearsals. Individual coaching and portfolio sessions will be scheduled at the convenience of the student and instructor.
- The ONLINE MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM production will be open to the public via a private, secure link distributed through our ticketing system. The production is scheduled to go ONLINE on Friday, July 31st at 7:30pm, with a possible second showing on Saturday, August 1st at 7:30pm.