We Love our volunteers!
April is National Volunteer Month, and we would like to give a sincere thank you to our amazing volunteers! We would not be able to produce entertaining and engaging shows without their help. If you’re looking for a fun way to get involved in our community, check out all the ways you can volunteer with the Civic Theatre below!
Ways To Volunteer at the Civic Theatre
Actors – From the novice, the new to our stage, or the most seasoned actor, all are welcome to audition. Find the audition page helpful for upcoming audition information and to learn more about how to prepare and what to expect from an audition.
Behind the scenes:
Volunteers will be working under the guidance and director of professional staff members.
- Set Construction/Painting – Volunteers help build, repair, paint, and tear down sets. It is helpful for volunteers in this area to have some construction or painting background. Daytime and night hours are available.
- Lighting/Sound – Training is be provided. We need people who are available throughout the entire run of a show. Some jobs can be shared with another person, and some require that you are there every performance and throughout tech week prior to the show opening. This is a job that requires a strong commitment, and the ability to follow a script.
- Props – This position is part of the stage crew. Properties are all of the set dressings and small articles used in a production. Time commitment is the full run of the show plus tech week and some rehearsals.
- Costumes – Volunteers are instrumental in sewing costumes, as well as, putting finishing touches on projects. Time requirements vary with each show, but hours are flexible with personal schedules.
- Stagehands/Running Crew – Each show requires people working back stage to make things happen correctly on stage. Responsibilities range from cleaning before a performance, preparing the set, coordinating special effects, bringing flys in and out, and moving set pieces. Time commitment is the full run of the show and tech week. Volunteers can work every night of a production or trade shifts with another volunteer. This requires a highly responsible person.
Volunteers will be working under the guidance and director of the House Manager.
- Ushers – Ushers are friendly and helpful people who are responsible for greeting the public, taking tickets, helping patrons find seats, and hand out programs. We use 10 ushers for each show. Arrival time is 45 minutes before performance.
- Doorpersons – Act as the host/hostess of the theatre by being in the lobby and taking tickets for the downstairs patrons. They answer any questions that come up and arrive to volunteer 45 minutes prior to start of performance.
- Coat Check – Arrive 45 minutes prior to performance and are required to stay through the performance to pass out coats to patrons.
- Concessions – Join the Theatre Guild and volunteer to serve in the concession booth selling candy and drinks. Proceeds from these sales help to support our theatre.
Other volunteer opportunities
- Business Office – Volunteers are often needed to assist in data entry, filing and general office work. Times and commitment lengths vary, but daytime hours only.
- Maintenance – With a building as large as the Civic, there are a number of odd jobs for every skill level. Help is needed with general cleaning, maintenance and upkeep of the theatre. Daytime hours are typically required.
- Hospitality – Volunteers are regularly needed to assist with special events, such as Back Stage Passes, cast parties and technical lunches.
- Tour Guides – Must be friendly and good with people and have a good memory. Attendance in a special training and the ability to climb stairs is required.
- Bookholders and Assistant Directors – This is a great opportunity to work closely with the Director of a show. Attendance at all rehearsals is required. Bookholders watch the script, note blocking and take general notes for the Director. Assistant Directors work with the Director and must have previous acting or directing experience.
To Volunteer or get more information on how you can be involved, please provide us with some information below and our Director of Volunteers will be in touch with you shortly.